24 June 2019
UNESCO Almaty Cluster Office and the UNESCO Institute for Information Technologies in Education (UNESCO IITE) in cooperation with the National Commission of the Republic of Tajikistan for UNESCO and the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Tajikistan, UNFPA in Tajikistan and Public organization ’Hamsol ba hamsol’ (Y-peer) held a Sub-regional expert meeting on education for reproductive health and healthy lifestyles among youth in the countries of Central Asia and Eastern Europe in Guliston, Tajikistan on 11-12 June.Representatives of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Tajikistan, regional education authorities, leading educational organizations on training and retraining of teachers and development of educational programmes in the field of life skills training and healthy lifestyles, representatives of public and youth organizations, experts from Eastern Europe and Central Asia, as well as UNESCO and UNFPA specialists, attended the meeting.
At the meeting, the participants had the opportunity to learn and share the experience of the countries of Central Asia and Eastern Europe on implementing healthy lifestyle educational programmes, including:
- Approaches, strengths and challenges related to the content, quality and coverage of health education programmes;
- More comprehensive study on sexual and reproductive health, HIV prevention, healthy interpersonal relationships;
- Identification of concrete steps to improve the quality of health education programmes in accordance with international standards and best practices;
- Issues related to the training and retraining of teachers, monitoring and evaluation of the effectiveness of such programmes, the use of the Internet and social media to raise awareness among young people.
The meeting resulted in recommendations on the further development and strengthening of reproductive health education in Tajikistan and other countries of Central Asia and Eastern Europe. Participants planned a number of activities that would contribute to the intensification of activities to promote healthy lifestyles among students.
This meeting is the first of its kind event in the field of education on promoting healthy lifestyle in Tajikistan
- Latofat Naziri, the Deputy Minister of education and science of the Republic of Tajikistan said.
One of the first steps for education departments is to issue an order on conducting lessons during class-hours on the topic of healthy lifestyles
- Tigran Yepoyan, UNESCO Regional HIV and Health Education Advisor noted.
Sub-Regional expert meeting "Education in reproductive health and healthy lifestyle formation among students in Central Asia and Eastern Europe countries"
National information agency of Tajikistan «Khovar»
Permanent link: http://en.unesco.kz/sub-regional-expert-meeting-on-reproductive-health-education-in-tajikistan