7 October 2020
On 16 October 2020, the UNESCO Almaty Office in cooperation with UNDRR, Center for Emergency Situations and Disaster Risk Reduction in Almaty (CESDRR) and the Disaster and Climate Resilience Youth Network (DACRYN) is organizing an online event on the occasion of the International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction.The International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction, held each year on 13 October, celebrates how people and communities around the world are reducing their exposure to disasters. The 2020 edition continues as part of the "Sendai Seven" campaign, centered on the seven targets of the Sendai Framework. This year will focus on Target (e) of the Sendai Framework - Substantially increase the number of countries with national and local disaster risk reduction strategies by 2020.
This year event will focus on the implementation of the Sendai Framework with a focus on raising awareness of young people about disaster risk reduction (DRR), youth engagement in DRR practices, the role of youth and young professionals as actors in DRR, the best practices of youth engagement in DRR at local level, integration of science in DRR. The event aims to increase the interest of youth in science, policy and practice for DRR in Central Asia.
The event will take place online in Zoom platform in Russian and English with simultaneous translation provided.
An interactive quiz with prizes for winners will be organized at the end of the event.
If you are:
• bachelor, master or PhD students studying in the fields related to DRR in any of universities in Central Asia region;
• young professionals from NGOs or national entities working in DRR-related fields in Central Asian countries;
• young scientists from Central Asian institutes and universities;
• or just youth representative interested in DRR from Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan or Uzbekistan,
- to enroll, please fill in the registration form available here.
The participation is free of charge.
To learn more, download the concept note of the event.